Foods Good for Teeth and Gums
The foods and beverages we consume on a daily basis have a significant impact on our physical and dental health. Our teeth and gums are very sensitive to what we put into our bodies, and it’s essential to know how these foods affect our teeth. Here’s our guide to foods that are beneficial for your teeth and gums!
General Foods Good for Teeth and Gums
In general, the best foods for your teeth will be natural foods. Foods with low sugar or no sweeteners and unprocessed foods have the lowest risk of causing damage to your teeth. Look for fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, or dairy products. A great tip is to shop around the perimeter of your grocery store. These foods tend to be natural, fresher foods and will be much better for your teeth than sugary snacks. Choosing foods that are good for your teeth will lead to stronger enamel, healthier gums, and fewer health complications.
Specific Foods to Look For
We understand that making a change to your diet can be intimidating. So, we’ve gathered a list of some of our go-to food items! Here are a few of our favorite teeth and gum-friendly foods.
- Carrots: This orange veggie is rich in keratin and vitamin B, both of which are great for dental health! Eating carrots also cleans plaque from your teeth, and the chewing and biting required to eat carrots are very stimulating for your gum tissues.
- Apples: Similar to carrots, apples are crunchy and fibrous, which is excellent for natural plaque removal and gum stimulation. Apples are small, portable, and make a great snack!
- Lean Protein: Proteins that contain phosphorus are great for your teeth. This includes fish, poultry, and eggs! Additionally, the omega-3 fatty acids in fish are great preventative agents for gum and tissue decay.
- Dark Chocolate: You read that right; dark chocolate is good for your teeth! Dark chocolate naturally contains less sugar and is often considered a natural antioxidant. The next time you have a sweet tooth, consider reaching for dark chocolate instead of other sugary candies!
Beverages for Healthy Teeth
In addition to exercising caution with the foods we eat, it’s important to consider the beverages we consume as well.
- Green Tea: This type of tea contains natural fluoride and antimicrobial agents. Both of these elements strengthen teeth and prevent tooth and gum decay!
- Water: Drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your dental health. Not only are you keeping your body hydrated, but drinking water also helps wash away food particles and sugars, which helps keep your teeth cleaner throughout the day. Be sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day!
Have Questions About Your Teeth and Gums?
If you still have questions about which foods benefit your dental health, feel free to bring them up during your next appointment! We would love to discuss healthy eating habits and ways to improve your dental health. You can also contact us with any other questions or concerns.